“I learned something new each day while volunteering for SON ministries, but the biggest lesson that kept transcending through the week is ‘in the simple’. It is the simple things (trying something new, making a friend, being polite, being honest, etc.) that are important to our children and their future. Maybe “in the simple” we will bring about peace in the home, in the neighborhood, imagine…. in the world.”
Thank you for your interest in serving the children and families facing suburban poverty through SON Ministries. Please see below for current and upcoming volunteer opportunities. Please fill out the interest form and we will contact you! Questions? E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ongoing Year-Round Opportunities:
- Office Support – Help us with administrative duties during regular business hours.
- Translation/Interpreting Services – as needed – particularly in Spanish, Somali or Arabic.
- Community Garden Assistant – Help plant, harvest and deliver fresh produce to families facing poverty.
- Host a Garage Sale/Lemonade Stand/Bake Sale/Car Wash– Donate proceeds to this community program.
- Donate Items– Books, nonperishable food, gift cards, etc… VIEW LIST HERE.
- Legal Clinic – Attorneys can volunteer through Legal Aid; volunteers are also needed to staff the legal clinic.
- Job Jump-START– Job readiness clinic providing help with interviewing skills, job applications, resume review, networking and more.
- Entrepreneurial Opportunity – Support the children with running their own business during programming. Examples could including supporting operations, overseeing food preparations, planning “shopping” trips for required items, etc…
Family ESL Program Opportunities (October-April):
- Snack Angels*– Provide a light meal once or monthly for the hungry children who attend our Family ESL Program.
- Academic Support* – Help school aged children (K-8) with homework, on educational websites, math and reading.
- Indoor Recess* – Play with children (K-8) in an indoor gym recess environment with Legos, board games and crafts.
- Early Childhood*– Help children (3 months-preK) prepare for kindergarten with love, language and literacy.
- Assist English as a Second Language (ESL)– Help alongside teacher with adults as they learn English.
- Hospitality- Set up refreshment for adult students during their break time.
*Full families (school-aged children and older) can volunteer together in these areas.
If you are a NEW Volunteer, please follow the three steps below:
If you are a RETURNING Volunteer, please follow the steps below:
High School Teens can volunteer at the Family ESL Program in a variety of ways from one-time volunteering with an adult to taking part in our Teen Internship Program (by application). All teens must complete the following steps to begin volunteering at the Family ESL Program:
Teens interested in participating in the Teen Internship Program will learn more at the Teen Volunteer Orientation.